Let's get the party on the roll

General Discussion
DeadMeat

Let's get the party on the roll

Post by DeadMeat » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:32 am

Comon Guys and Gals, wake up. Let's get some chatter going.

I am in Grand Junction, Colorado. I ran Searchlight from V 3.5 to 5.1. I fell in love with Searchlight when I made the switch from another un named BBS package.

I like walks in the park.......Shoot never was any good at this.

Just past the Coca-Cola and the chitos, willya.

Daryl

GatorKram

Re: Let's get the party on the roll

Post by GatorKram » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:37 am

I started off with 1.76 single node. 1.77 Came out like the next day.

It was nice having a local support board in the local calling area. I hung out at his place a few times.

Those were the days.

DeadMeat

Post by DeadMeat » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:16 pm

GatorKram wrote:I started off with 1.76 single node. 1.77 Came out like the next day.

It was nice having a local support board in the local calling area. I hung out at his place a few times.

Those were the days.
You now that the days of BBSing can be brought back. Most of us are pretty fair hands at Ripscript. And the tools are available in here to do it again. Plus, with the advent of the CAble and DSL, you can easily put up a Telnet BBS once again. We used to get the word out at coffee shops, street corners, etc.. We made community boards. Some of us expanded and made a few bucks (not a whole lot) doing it with dialups. But now we have something better than dialup called Datalines. What keeps people from doing that again as long as this support area is online?

GatorKram

Post by GatorKram » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:12 am

For the most part, there is no need to run an old style "bbs"

Between IRC, the web, and java based "games" there just isn't a need.

They don't really scale very well either. Even on todays hardware.

To me, it's just an old sloppy way to do things.

I do understand the nostalgia, but still...

I've setup my old bbs a million times, and put it up for telnet about 1/2 a million times. Meh.

DeadMeat

Post by DeadMeat » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:59 am

There is no reason not to have it all. Take a look at I70west.com. Right now, I have it farmed out due to the lack of digital lines available here. This could change fast. With a digital line, there is no reason NOT to have the telnet BBS, HTML Server running together.

Craig Johnson

Post by Craig Johnson » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:52 pm

I ran my BBS for ten full years from 07-21-89 to 07-21-99 (well, maybe not "ten full years" down to the femtosecond, but within several minutes anyway), and I'd love to be a sysop again -- even if it's only a single telnet node. :D

It was Paul Casey who turned me onto SLBBS in the early-1990s (previously, I was running a highly customised version of Ivory 6485 BBS {renamed by me to "TDMBBS v7.0" after all of the work I put into it} on a Commodore 64 computer), and I ran SLBBS until the very end. I just liked the easy-to-use sysop interface and the easy user interface -- not to mention that it had support for all kinds of door games like LORD, BarneySplat, RIPversi, etc.