Let's try and experiment on 32 bit SLbbs

All discussion related to Searchlight BBS
DeadMeat

Re: Let's try and experiment on 32 bit SLbbs

Post by DeadMeat » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:42 am

kparadine wrote:I am ambling towards a terminal program that will do justice to SLBBS. If that works out, maybe it's time to rebuild it for a 64-bit world.
It looks to me that if the coding was available for Searchlight BBS, it would take very little to take it into the 32 bit world. The parts are there. Chances are, it would be not much more than compiling what code is there to 32 bit where it would run on the 64 bit systems. Of course, the addition of door32.sys would also have to be done. I just wonder why Telegrafix didn't do it in the first place. I am sure that many of us would have sent them rereg fees and kept their doors open a bit longer. Sync and the Internet didn't kill Searchlight.

kparadine

Post by kparadine » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:52 am

DeadMeat wrote:I think we have one or two already in the Files section including the old Qmodem

http://www.slbbs.com/files/slbbsrelated/qm2_1.zip
Check it out. It does a reasonable Rip and a decent Ansi.

the only problem is, it still has enough 16 bit in it to not to be able to run in 64 bit systems.
It's a huge deterrent to use a legacy program nowadays. A telnet that does decent ANSI-BBS emulation that isn't NT text mode (thinking Syncterm) would rock. If it supported SSH and file transfers via the telnet socket, that would rule even more. I also want a scalable VGAish font that doesn't look like ass. RIP is optional but nice.

kparadine

Post by kparadine » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:56 am

DeadMeat wrote:
kparadine wrote:I am ambling towards a terminal program that will do justice to SLBBS. If that works out, maybe it's time to rebuild it for a 64-bit world.
It looks to me that if the coding was available for Searchlight BBS, it would take very little to take it into the 32 bit world. The parts are there. Chances are, it would be not much more than compiling what code is there to 32 bit where it would run on the 64 bit systems. Of course, the addition of door32.sys would also have to be done. I just wonder why Telegrafix didn't do it in the first place. I am sure that many of us would have sent them rereg fees and kept their doors open a bit longer. Sync and the Internet didn't kill Searchlight.
No, it was killed because it was a dying business and no one wanted to "work" on a dying model.

The BBS software business was great for them. Sell software, people send you checks and all you gotta do is process payments and show up for a show or two a year. Oh, and write the software. But seriously, most BBS shops were one guy at the heart. Frank ran SL. Jim Harrer ran Mustang back in the day. None of these people were "really" in the software business, the way it's understood today. When the easy money stopped flowing, no one wanted to dig deeper to find the cash again.

A recode of a BBS is definitely a good idea. No one has done it in at least 10 years. I'm including Sync, it's an old codebase. It's just "what BBS"?

DeadMeat

Post by DeadMeat » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:38 pm

I am just saying that the parts are there. The main problem is, many of the Exes are done with a 16 bit compiler. The tools were there for them to do an easy fix by compiling it with a 32 bit compiler. Hardly any code change at all. Frank and company started it. The wslbbs.exe is 32 bit that would control the whole shebang. But the problem is, the rest is compiled using 16 bit. Even the installation install.exe is 16 bit.

I noticed that Telegrafix worked closely with Paul Casey on the 16 bit. They NEVER worked on the 32 bit side of things even though the world had passed the 16 bit by.

As for door32.sys, that could have been done as an addon like some of the more obscure door drop files were. That doesn't block a thing really. I am sure if the slbbs would have been compiled using a 32 bit compiler someone would have come up with a drop file conversion utility.

I just see the laziness of Telegrafix and to some extent the left turn at Searchlight that brought this whole thing about. 32 bit was planned but Telegrafix was stuck in a 16 bit world. Take a look at their Ripterm. it's 16 bit for crying out loud. Didn't someone tell them that DOS was dead?

kparadine

Post by kparadine » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:33 pm

DeadMeat wrote:I am just saying that the parts are there. The main problem is, many of the Exes are done with a 16 bit compiler. The tools were there for them to do an easy fix by compiling it with a 32 bit compiler. Hardly any code change at all. Frank and company started it. The wslbbs.exe is 32 bit that would control the whole shebang. But the problem is, the rest is compiled using 16 bit. Even the installation install.exe is 16 bit.

I noticed that Telegrafix worked closely with Paul Casey on the 16 bit. They NEVER worked on the 32 bit side of things even though the world had passed the 16 bit by.

As for door32.sys, that could have been done as an addon like some of the more obscure door drop files were. That doesn't block a thing really. I am sure if the slbbs would have been compiled using a 32 bit compiler someone would have come up with a drop file conversion utility.

I just see the laziness of Telegrafix and to some extent the left turn at Searchlight that brought this whole thing about. 32 bit was planned but Telegrafix was stuck in a 16 bit world. Take a look at their Ripterm. it's 16 bit for crying out loud. Didn't someone tell them that DOS was dead?
Ripterm is 16 bit because RIP uses BGI fonts, and there was/is no 32 bit renderer for same. That's something i'm messing with now.

The lack of a hotshot programmer was mostly the reason their software sucked.

DeadMeat

Post by DeadMeat » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:35 pm

Reeder was too busy with what they had going on in Japan. Don't exactly know what that was but I imagine it may be dead by today.

I am interested in what you got going. I would love to try it out over here. Since I can't run a stitch of 16 bit with my OS, it would be a good test. I have the only flavor of Windows 64 that can't run the MS addon to make a 32 bit window that can run 16 bit programs.

As a very annoying Comedian once said, "Gitter Done".