New SLbbs online

All discussion related to Searchlight BBS
DeadMeat

Re: New SLbbs online

Post by DeadMeat » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:50 pm

kparadine wrote:Looks good but teh ANSI is broken on scroll events. Bug in the terminal (flashterm)
It works well. Nothing is ever perfect but it's darned close. I don't have the problem with scroll events. I don't know why you do. But for those that can't download mtel then it's going to work just fine.

Daryl

kparadine

Post by kparadine » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:04 am

<html>
<body>
<applet CODEBASE="."
ARCHIVE="jta26.jar"
CODE="de.mud.jta.Applet"
WIDTH=590 HEIGHT=360 />
<param name="Socket.host" value="74.168.162.208" />
<param name="Socket.port" value="23" />
<param name="Terminal.scrollBar" value="East" />
<param name="Terminal.IBM" value="true" />
</applet>
</body>
</html>

Instead of using applet.conf, just put the config directives in <param> tags as above.

The scroll bug is pretty egregious in flashterm. It basically overprints the line immediately following the scroll on the line before the scroll.

DeadMeat

Post by DeadMeat » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:49 pm

Chris,

I just got word that one person, jas hud seems to have a problem with too low of a security level in order to see the games. Any ideas on this one?

Daryl

Coz
Site Admin

Post by Coz » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:17 pm

DeadMeat wrote:Chris,

I just got word that one person, jas hud seems to have a problem with too low of a security level in order to see the games. Any ideas on this one?

Daryl
Yep, validation required in order to get into doors. Just a bump in the road to try to keep people from creating too many fake accounts so that they can cheat. I've given him access.

DeadMeat

Post by DeadMeat » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:47 pm

Good idea but nothing tells anyone about it. Looks to me like a bulletin needs to be written or an announcement when a person signs in the first time on what they need to do to gain a higher access.

Daryl

Coz
Site Admin

Post by Coz » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:00 am

There's a lot to be done - custom screens, changing the strings file, bulletins, new user logins explaining about the BBS - all in due time! To try to do what I can immediately, I posted a bulletin that new users can (hopefully) read so that they'll know it's just a matter of waiting until their account is validated.

DeadMeat

Post by DeadMeat » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:02 pm

One thing you might consider is to have them Email for upgrade.

DeadMeat

Post by DeadMeat » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:03 pm

Coz wrote:There's a lot to be done - custom screens, changing the strings file, bulletins, new user logins explaining about the BBS - all in due time! To try to do what I can immediately, I posted a bulletin that new users can (hopefully) read so that they'll know it's just a matter of waiting until their account is validated.
If anyone were to present screens to you would you consider using them? I am sure there are still some pretty good ansi artists running around looking for a challenge.

Also, since I imagine the same machine or network has the slbbs.com files, how about linking with those. That would give you a big jump on creating a files section.

Almost all of them has a filesbbs included in the zip file and a files directory could be built pretty easy.

Coz
Site Admin

Post by Coz » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:29 pm

I'd definitely consider using any provided ANSI screens!

The BBS machine is actually a different machine, but I might be able to come up with something. I wish I could run it all on the same machine but Netfoss and Net2BBS haven't been the most stable applications in the world. Probably the nature of NTVDM. I'm having to close and reset the DOS Window that Net2BBS runs in every few days or so. I might try a different front end to see if it's Net2BBS or NetFoss that's crashing from time to time.

DeadMeat

Post by DeadMeat » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:21 pm

Coz wrote:I'd definitely consider using any provided ANSI screens!

The BBS machine is actually a different machine, but I might be able to come up with something. I wish I could run it all on the same machine but Netfoss and Net2BBS haven't been the most stable applications in the world. Probably the nature of NTVDM. I'm having to close and reset the DOS Window that Net2BBS runs in every few days or so. I might try a different front end to see if it's Net2BBS or NetFoss that's crashing from time to time.

You can set up the gamesrv to do that. It can be set to dump directly into the BBS without causing a hickup. It runs well and should not have the problem as a front end you are having.