Doors

All discussion related to Searchlight BBS
DeadMeat

Doors

Post by DeadMeat » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:29 pm

I just added a page for software authors. On thing to note, there is a site out there that is charging for free reg codes. He makes a lot of claims but most are considered freeware and the regs have been released by the authors.

Just a friendly warning. Unless it is from the original author, don't send one thin dime. It's going to be a scam.

kparadine

Re: Doors

Post by kparadine » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:25 am

Especially at the outrageous prices he's charging. Sheesh, back then we wouldn't have paid that much.

Coz
Site Admin

Post by Coz » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:12 pm

Just as a note, the majority of those doors that Doug (bbsfiles.com) bought from authors or got for free come with a free key in the download. He's charging $5 or $10 for vanity keys that contain your personalized name and BBS, or for doors where he had to pay more than usual to buy them from the original author. I don't really think it's a scam - there's no requirement to buy anything, and they almost all have keys included in the download.

Not sure what site Kevin's referring to, but if it's Sunrise, I agree - the prices are way too high for 2011!

DeadMeat

Post by DeadMeat » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:11 pm

Coz wrote:Just as a note, the majority of those doors that Doug (bbsfiles.com) bought from authors or got for free come with a free key in the download. He's charging $5 or $10 for vanity keys that contain your personalized name and BBS, or for doors where he had to pay more than usual to buy them from the original author. I don't really think it's a scam - there's no requirement to buy anything, and they almost all have keys included in the download.

Not sure what site Kevin's referring to, but if it's Sunrise, I agree - the prices are way too high for 2011!
When Doug gets his site straightened out where it can be verified then we can get it listed. Until downloads are possible then it can't be verified. I am operating on a "Verification" and " Research" process. I am not looking at cost. That means Al's site still get listed. It's up to you to determine if you wish to pay for them or not.

Also, it it's just a bunch of old no fossil doors I don't feel the need to spend the time listing any of those. Telnet needs fossil driven doors. The only non fossil driven doors that need to be listed is the ones that were wrote specifically for Searchlight. They can't be used either but call it nostalgia. There is just too much junk out there that is unusable. If it's not usable, why list it here where we are trying to support a complete workable BBS.

Coz
Site Admin

Post by Coz » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:48 pm

I agree that his site needs to get back online for you to verify and research, but a good many of those doors up there do support FOSSIL. Just check it out when you have a chance.. there are some gems in the rough! :D

DeadMeat

Post by DeadMeat » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:18 pm

To be truthful, I would rather just download the fossil doors that work on SL and put them on this site. But for hard to get SNs and Regs, it does have merit. He just needs to get his site open for download.