SLBBS & ANSI

All discussion related to Searchlight BBS
Coz
Site Admin

SLBBS & ANSI

Post by Coz » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:10 am

Any developers out there know why Searchlight has some ANSI issues with most telnet clients out there - mTel, SyncTerm, etc? Most other BBS software doesn't seem to have the same problems, so I'm thinking it's Frank's implementation of the ANSI specification. The only telnet client I've found to work 100% with SLBBS's ANSI implementation is HyperTerminal, and Microsoft doesn't provide that any longer with Windows Vista and/or 7. At least I could copy it from an old Windows XP system.

Other than that, SLBBS (doors too) runs really well with the newest version of NetFoss, which comes with the NET2BBS telnet server -- as long as you're on a 32-bit version of Windows!!

kparadine

Re: SLBBS & ANSI

Post by kparadine » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:48 am

The reason why SLBBS has issues with ANSI is that Frank designed it to work with the clients available then, and ANSI.SYS for local logins. The standard isn't much of a standard at all. It's VT100/102 with a dash of additional stuff, and a lot of room to not implement certain functions of the terminal, or implement them differently. Most other BBS packages didn't make such heavy use of ANSI sequences for precisely this reason. Using anything more complicated than colorcodes and the 2J screen clear code was asking for trouble.

This, unfortunately, is another reason to redesign the BBS. The only patch I can think of is a simple ANSI terminal program that knows what SLBBS wants. Or you could run Telix or Procomm Plus.