Best OS for Searchlight

All discussion related to Searchlight BBS
kparadine

Re: Best OS for Searchlight

Post by kparadine » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:37 am

I figured out the "why". Basically, if the telnet client advertises its screen size as 80x24, it shows. If it advertises as 80x25, no problem. Grr. Now I see why /usr/bin/screen is so vital - it can be forced to go 80x25 at all times and therefore keep dosemu happy.

DeadMeat

Post by DeadMeat » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:08 pm

kparadine wrote:I figured out the "why". Basically, if the telnet client advertises its screen size as 80x24, it shows. If it advertises as 80x25, no problem. Grr. Now I see why /usr/bin/screen is so vital - it can be forced to go 80x25 at all times and therefore keep dosemu happy.
Ah, but can it go get you a beer and Pizza at the end of the month :twisted:

Glad you fingered that one out.

Sure wished you would upgrade to a more modern version of Searchlight though. 5.1 has a lot of bugs and such taken care of as long as you use the 16 bit version of it. The bbs32.exe never was for prime time.

kparadine

Post by kparadine » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:45 pm

God, I hates RIP though. 2.25 is the last version before the evil RIP was added, I think. RIP was ugly and the terminal programs that used it were nonintuitive. Also, I refused on principle to use Telegrafix software back then, and I have no reason to want to now.

I would be ok with using Frank's 5.02, but I wouldn't run the 32 bit version anyway, hosting a Windows box on the net is like spreading your ass cheeks out and inviting the world in. I do this for a living, and any Windows box that is internet-accessible has been reverse proxied and has multiple levels of firewalling, in addition to being on an isolated segment.

DeadMeat

Post by DeadMeat » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:01 pm

kparadine wrote:God, I hates RIP though. 2.25 is the last version before the evil RIP was added, I think. RIP was ugly and the terminal programs that used it were nonintuitive. Also, I refused on principle to use Telegrafix software back then, and I have no reason to want to now.

I would be ok with using Frank's 5.02, but I wouldn't run the 32 bit version anyway, hosting a Windows box on the net is like spreading your ass cheeks out and inviting the world in. I do this for a living, and any Windows box that is internet-accessible has been reverse proxied and has multiple levels of firewalling, in addition to being on an isolated segment.

I don't believe Rip is a problem one way or the other. But I suggest you use 5.1. 5.02 has a number of problems that 5.1 doesn't. 5.1 is more Y2K than 5.02 even though I still run the Y2K TP Patch anyway on all executables including doors.

The 32 bit side of 5.1 is crap unless you are running a dialup. But the 16 bit (using the bbs.exe instead of the bbs32.exe) works pretty well. And this includes Telnet. The Fossil driver built in is just plain crap though but netfos works quite well.

Coz
Site Admin

Post by Coz » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:09 pm

Hi Kevin,

Definitely interested in how your dosemu setup is working for you? Any guidance you could give on setup would be appreciated too. I've started some limited work with DOSBox and virtual modem support, but I'm not sure it'll be solid enough - or run doors properly.

Chris