Best OS for Searchlight

All discussion related to Searchlight BBS
DeadMeat

Best OS for Searchlight

Post by DeadMeat » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:41 am

After discussing things with MRO and a couple of others I have come to the conclusion that the best OS for Searchlight is probably Win XP Pro 32. It can still run 16 bit windows without any modification and there is still enough DOS left to get the job done with only a few additions.

Share is a problem in XP Pro. There are two methods to correct it. I like the first, it's safer.

Copy Share.exe from your Office 4.0. It doesn't matter which version. Just copy it to your command file area of windows. Now, you can link to it with your Autoexec.bat.

The other method is to use your Notepad or Wordpad. (I prefer wordpad ). Open a new file, save that empty file as share.txt or share.exe and rename the txt to exe and then copy it to the command section of windows (or winnt). Then tell your autoexec.bat to load it. I haven't tried this. I usually steal the share.exe from Office but according the MS, this should work as well.

Nick MacKechnie

Re: Best OS for Searchlight

Post by Nick MacKechnie » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:22 am

Hi,

Im still running the Trashcan (bbs.thenet.gen.nz) on WIn 98 SE ;-)

Nick.

DeadMeat

Post by DeadMeat » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:48 pm

I may have to dust off my old copy of Win2000 once again. The newer Windows is just too limited for my tastes. Besides, when you disable all the windows security systems and do the addons with the 3rd party, it's pretty danged bullet proof and requires less resources.

kparadine

Post by kparadine » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:57 pm

I restored a BBS backup from 1992 a couple weeks ago and have been at play in a DOS vm on vmware server atop Win7-64. vmodemd+dosemu on Gentoo is my target environment. I suppose we'll see.

I suppose if I had a message for the past it would be "Buy DC2000 tapes, they last forever"!

I also restored a bunch of code I had in a separate backup. Recompiling some SL-specific doors will definitely be in my future.

kparadine

Post by kparadine » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:47 pm

Well, vmodemd is a bucket of bugs (it's just a PHP script, anyway) but using telnetd I was able to get 4 nodes of the Zeppelin back online.

I have it on a dynamic IP right now but i'm going to transplant the install to a server in a data center shortly - next week or so. It'll be at 97.107.130.92 on port 23 when I transplant it.

I have a little more work on tweaking dosemu and screen so I can see what's going on in the nodes.

Edited to add: does anyone want to know precisely what I did to make this work? There are a fair number of detail items I was pulling my hair out about. I was using SL 2.25M but I am sure it would work with any other copy.

DeadMeat

Post by DeadMeat » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:21 pm

What are you using for an Operating System?

And, yes, start another thread and let's see what you got. Maybe others can utilize it as well.

kparadine

Post by kparadine » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:39 pm

I am using Gentoo, but any other 32-bit Linux flavor would work, as long as it has xinetd, dosemu and screen. Which every one has available, these are common components.

DeadMeat

Post by DeadMeat » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:50 pm

Is your BBS setup for us to view?

kparadine

Post by kparadine » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:50 pm

You can try out 98.204.199.72 port 23 - it'll work for a few more days.

I'm still working to get a particular error message from dosemu/screen out of the way - you'll see it, it's a complaint about less than 25 lines. Just hit enter to go past it. Otherwise, the BBS mostly works.

DeadMeat

Post by DeadMeat » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:04 am

Looks good to me. Yes, getting the dosmenu out of way would be a good thing where it goes directly into the BBS itself. It's not really confusing but that's one step that is not needed for the user to see.