Searchlight BBS and Telnet

All discussion related to Searchlight BBS
kentstanford

Searchlight BBS and Telnet

Post by kentstanford » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:14 pm

I was just wondering if ANYONE has successfully been able to setup SL with the built in telnet features?
I have tried this on Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, Windows 98, and the telnet feature just does not work.
I now use a third party tool called TelSrv that is doing the trick but file transfers don't work very good with
this setup. Anyone have another option??

Thanks.
Kent

NormWood

Re: Searchlight BBS and Telnet

Post by NormWood » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:31 am

I tried with 5.1 on Win7 and XP and it never ran well if at all. Have never tried it with 5.0 but I assume it would be the same. Chris has great instructions on how to set up DOS version for Telnet. http://slbbs.com/slbbsgmsrv.html

kentstanford wrote:I was just wondering if ANYONE has successfully been able to setup SL with the built in telnet features?
I have tried this on Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, Windows 98, and the telnet feature just does not work.
I now use a third party tool called TelSrv that is doing the trick but file transfers don't work very good with
this setup. Anyone have another option??

Thanks.
Kent

kentstanford

Re: Searchlight BBS and Telnet

Post by kentstanford » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:36 pm

yea, that is pretty much the setup I am using now except I am using TelSrv instead of GameSrv.
However, I have not yet been able to get a working file transfer with anything I have tied including the
FDSZ setup as posted in the installation doc. I have all my doors working and telnet connections work
great, but I get nothing but massive CRC errors anytime I try to download a file from the BBS over telnet.
I have tried everything to get this to work.. Just wondered what Frank @ Searchlight Software was using
to get all this to work?? His software obviously had no decent working telnet capabilities yet you could
telnet to the SL support site and download files.